Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Make spaghetti night a little more interesting while sneaking in extra veggies your kids don't know about

Ok, can't take credit for this recipe idea, I stole it from Rachel Ray (never watch TV at home but saw this at the Birthplace last week while eating my breakfast). I thought I would try this because I needed to make use of the few peppers and a handful of eggplant I picked from the garden on Saturday before the storm hit (not to mention a pile of plum tomatoes!).

So basically you roast the eggplant and peppers in the oven at 400-425 degrees on a sheet pan. I kept the peppers whole (I used 2 banana, 1 small bell and 1 spicy cherry), cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, smothered all with "EVOO" and sea salt laid the eggplant face down so the skin side was showing and stuck in the hot oven. If the size of your veggies varies then check on it frequently- some stuff may be done sooner than others, but basically it's done when a fork slides into it super easy.  You should be able to remove the skin from the peppers easily, also take the seeds out, and scrape the soft eggplant meat out of the skin with a spoon. Throw all your veggie meat in the food processor and puree, then throw that mess into your usual spaghetti sauce! I had made a marinara using the fresh plum tomatoes and herbs (basil, parsley and oregano) from our garden with just a half of a small can of tomato paste to thicken it a bit, then added the eggplant and pepper puree. My kids HATE eggplant and are split on peppers but had no idea it was in the sauce, they loved it! No pictures this time guys, really it just looked like a regular marinara sauce, that's how the kids were fooled ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment