Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Simple Steps

What I'm about to say you've heard many times, but most likely for health reasons: take the stairs! I committed about a year ago to ALWAYS taking the stairs instead of the elevator, at work and everywhere else. I also teach my kids to follow suit; "Elevators are for handicapped people. You're healthy and your legs work fine!" I tell them. By taking the elevator, not only do you exercise your legs and your heart, but you're saving energy in the process. Did you realize that for an average building (with a 2000lb elevator and 2-3 floors) by taking the stairs instead of the elevator you can save 3416 kWh/yr of electricity, 5602 lbs/yr of CO2 emissions, and 80 gallons/yr of oil?! It's true! At the hospital I end up having to go out of my way a lot just to avoid the elevator and take the stairs instead. I will admit though that I cave and use the elevator if I'm carrying something awkward or heavy, etc.
Can you imagine if everyone followed this principle how much electricity would be saved?

Food for thought,
Miss Z

No comments:

Post a Comment