Friday, August 19, 2011

Back to School Shopping

It's that time of year again. For a single mom with 3 girls back to school shopping can be almost as much of a financial burden as Christmas! Between school supplies and new clothes one can easily spend $200 per child and most parents in Southbury probably spend at least that much.  My eldest daughter struggles with the reality of our financial limitations.  She has a very part time job (working for her grandmother) which only affords her 10% of the luxuries she feels entitled to. I gave her $80 last week for back to school clothes, she went with her friend to Clinton Crossing Outlets (which she thought was being really frugal, I warned her otherwise) and came back with 3 items and $7 left. Disappointing :-/
Luckily we have a great kids consignment shop in town, Carousel Kids, right next door to my mom's restaurant I might add, and the two younger girls are a bit more open to "new-to-you" shopping.  I myself have not spent more than about $20 on new clothes for myself in the last year (not counting shoes; used shoes in good condition are a bit harder to come by). This is not only because I'm short on money but because I'm aware of the resources needed to manufacture new clothes as well as the hardship it causes people in third world countries Read this article for info on sweatshops
I'm a frequenter of "Savers" and "Good Will". Video blog to come on savvy consignment shopping; my friend and single mom pal, Rosa, and I are experts on this, so stay tuned!
So this morning Zoie and I got on our bikes and rode 1.5 miles to Carousel Kids to see what they had, knowing they ALWAYS have plenty of adorable, name brand clothes in great condition. Guess I should be thankful that Southbury mom's are crazy enough to spend mucho moolah on clothes for their kids at the mall; I can take advantage when they're done with them!
Zoie, bustin' through the clothing racks like the 'lil pro she is!
Karen and her daughter Regan, who is often there helping her mom run the shop.
Wow, these jeans look like they were never worn!
Cute jean jacket, fits perfect!
Even grabbed a couple items I knew Jada would like (she was at her dad's, I'll have to bring her next week), 8 items total, $36! Of course she has a few hand-me-downs and some stuff from last year that still fits, all kids do. Lets not forget "Back to School Shopping" is the product of marketing hype (like most American culture), and all together unnecessary to begin with. But hey, we're living in America, I'm not going to talk my kids out of it. So I compromise by getting them a few new(ish) things so they can feel like they fit in, without compromising my budget, or my conscience.



2 comments:

  1. I love kids consignments!! Great price, pre shrunk, looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the fashion lover that I am, I took my family to the Salvation Army and Goodwill! Last year my eldest wore a funky top and skinnys on the first day, this year she's doin the same! I would never let her buy anything tacky, torn, or stained; I spend money on good quality only and living in CT allows a variety of beautiful items. Thankyou to the people who donate their stuff.

    ReplyDelete