Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Consumermas!!

After last Christmas I had vowed to make the next one a little more earth friendly.... well, it's a work in progress :)
I am proud to say I've largely avoided big corporate chains stores and supported local businesses (except for a desk chair I bought my dad at BJ's), I've done a tiny bit of internet shopping (refirbed ipod shuffle for Zoie, something for Cory- I can't say because he'll read this :P) and otherwise made my family a lot of home made gifts.... with love <3  There was pajama pants, fudge, my famous raw chocolate, my famous beef jerky, home made soaps, fleece socks, etc. My sewing skills still need some improvement, thats why I say "work in progress"; while i wanted to make hand made gifts instead of buying I didn't want to give my loved ones pieces of crap for Christmas. So for instance, the really cool up-cycled material handbag I was going to make my mom.... it turned into a car starter for her new vehicle. I'll keep working on that, maybe for her birthday :)
I even spent 4+ hours sewing "Santa Sacks" which I wrapped everyone's gifts in this year in lew of wrapping paper. I saved a TON of wrapping paper- between what I have to wrap for other family members I don't exchange with at my home and the few gifts labeled "From Santa" I used less than one roll of paper, maybe half. It's not so much the money i'm worried about, wrapping paper is fairly cheep, it's just all the garbage I wanted to avoid this year. It was a lot of work but the actual wrapping was a cinch; just throw the gift in stick a tag on and tie in a bow! And it will be that easy next year, as I can just keep reusing them!

I also cut down on toys and gifts with excess packaging this year; buying local helps eliminate a lot of packaging, it's mostly the big toy companies that sell to retail chains that tend to over package. What packaging comes with gifts from other family members, don't forget much of that is recyclable if you separate it! So all in all I feel pretty good this Christmas; my kids are going to have possibly the best year ever, I got a lot of practice sewing and other practical skills I can use (for instance, a friend wants me to teach a soap making class as part of sustainability courses she offers, that's cash money for momma!), I supported local businesses and I was kinder on the environment. With a little skill and a little smarts, you too can avoid "The Shopocalypse"!! Rev Billy, love this guy!  Have a great Christmas everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Your passion of being ALIVE is touching....Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should start selling Santa Sacks!!!

    ReplyDelete